Within Cambridgeshire and Peterborough all enquiries about children come through the Customer Service Centre and are directed through to the appropriate service. Any enquiries received where it is not clear whether there are safeguarding issues/risks will be passed through to Multi Agency Safeguarding Hub (MASH) for a MASH enquiry to be undertaken.
This is a multi-agency team who undertake information gathering, analysis and decision making about whether there is a need for statutory intervention and if not what the appropriate intervention for the child, young person and their family might be.
Below are links to some of the assessment tools in order to make a professional judgement about the level of risk to the child or young person.
To make a referral, please use the referral form below
The Joint Safeguarding Referral Form provides a standardised referral format for professionals and volunteers to use when they think a child or young person is at risk of significant harm.
Click the link below to find out how to complete the referral form
What should you do if you think a child is being abused
If you are concerned that a child may be suffering physical, sexual or emotional abuse or neglect or is at risk of significant harm you should telephone Children Services using one of the following numbers:
- Cambridgeshire children: 0345 045 5203
- Peterborough children: 01733 864180
- Out of Hours Emergency Duty Team (EDT): (01733) 234724
If you are a professional you can report a safeguarding concern using the Cambridgeshire & Peterborough Safeguarding Referral Form. All telephone referrals will need to be followed up in writing within 24 hours by the referring professional.
When making a referral it is important that:
- All basic details are completed on the referral form ( correct names and spellings, siblings details, date of birth, addresses, ethnicity, first language, disabilities etc)
- The referral must clearly identify the concerns and the impact on the child as well as what support has been provided previously to help families address these concerns and what strengths/resilience is within the family.
- Referrals should set out what the referrer wants to see happen as a result of the referral, and should include the views of the family and, where appropriate, the child or young person.
- The more information that is provided, the easier it is for Children’s Social Care to make a decision about the best course of action to take in respect of the child or young person.
Once you have completed the referral form it will need to be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you think you or the child is in immediate danger and needs urgent help, please call the police on 999.
PREVENT & RADICALISATION
If you have a concern that a child or young person is at risk of illegal extremist activity you should still complete the Cambridgeshire & Peterborough Safeguarding Referral Form. The form will ask you to identify this concern as “Prevent (Violent Extremism)”
There is a hyperlinked checklist covering vulnerability to exploitation that includes factors linked to extremism designed to assist you in identifying risk. Referral to a specialist provision such Channel will be made by the MASH.