Aims and Learning Outcomes:
- An awareness of common drugs, and what they look like.
- A basic knowledge of the physical, psychological and social effects of drugs and alcohol.
- Ability to recognise drug/alcohol misuse.
- Awareness of own attitudes to drug/alcohol use/misuse and how these may impact on your work with adults or young people.
- Awareness of current trends in relation to use and misuse.
- Understanding of treatment options for adult substance misusers.
- Awareness of local specialist agencies working with adults and young people and when and how to refer to them.
- Increased confidence in dealing with drug/alcohol issues they may come across in their roles.
This is a 3 hour course for those professionals (voluntary and statutory) who work with children and young people and their parents/carers regularly who require a basic understanding of drugs and alcohol their misuse and their effects in terms of Safeguarding.