Aims and Learning Outcomes:
To enable practitioners to consider the challenges of working with families where parental substance misuse is an issue and identify best practice approaches.
By the end of the session, participants will be able to:
- Have greater confidence in discussing substance misuse with families
- Recognise when an assessment is needed, and identify different resources to support the assessment process
- Make balanced judgements about any action necessary to safeguard children
- Understand the ongoing support needs of children
- Identify the roles and responsibilities of others within the professional network
Professionals MUST complete the Impact of Substance Misusing Adults on Children (Part 1) prior to attending this course.
Before attending this course we recommend the Parental Substance Misuse: Implications for Practice e-learning which can be found at http://www.scie.org.uk/assets/elearning/parentalsubstancemisuse/website/module3/main.html
This is the second half day course, following the initial introductory course of Parental Substance Misusing Adults on Children (Part 1). This course is for all those professionals (voluntary and statutory) who work regularly with children and families, and/or adults who are parents/carers and for those who have a greater degree of role accountability and responsibility for safeguarding children’s welfare (Groups 2,3 and 4).